Friday 27 July 2007

Ad nauseam

I had a lesson with my writing teacher this week, and although things got off to a healthy start ('yes, I like this first chapter, well done,') by chapter 4 the compliments were waning (this needs a little more work.) By the time we'd limped through the last two ailing chapters, we were both a bit sick of it.

Oh dear. Is it just me or does anyone else regularly find themselves breaking out in a cold sweat, stomach-churning, while they feverishly try to remember what exactly possessed them to ramble on for 600 words - yes, two A4 pages! - about something completely gross?

This week's humiliation centered around a scene when one of my baddies was sick on one of my goodies. It seemed like a good idea at the time - a kind of dramatic turning point that inspires my hero to stand up for herself at last, after 60,000 words of lolling about like a weakling. Still, did I really have to go into such detail? What made me think anyone would want to read 600 different descriptions of vomit? I must be sick in the head!

Taking a deep breath, and a gulp of peppermint tea (to settle her stomach?), my teacher wisely suggested I rewrite the offensive section, trying this time, NOT to repulse the reader.

Bloody obvious, I know. But for some reason, in my determination to create vivid imagery, I’d overlooked the fact that no one wants to read about puke - no matter how clever or original the description.

Let’s hope I've learnt from that hiccup...

4 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hi Jude, came over again to say I haven't added you to the Novel Racers (you need to email Nichola for that) but to the sidebar of my own blog (as we all do for each other). Hope that makes sense, if not drop me an email.

Unknown said...

Hi Jude. When Blogger alows me I will add you to the side bar...btw WELCOME. Hope the rewritten scene came out to your satisfaction :-)

Jen said...

'600 different descriptions of vomit' - that did make me chuckle, sorry!

I'm sure there must be a market for vomit-based literature? :)

If it was puky enough to make her drink peppermint tea, you obviously wrote it well!!!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Hi Jude,

Ditto to what Liz said about the sidebar ~ can't seem to alter it at the mo.

You have a writing teacher ~ how and where did you find them, may I ask? Sounds like the sort of thing I could do with!