Wednesday 25 July 2007

Miss Write around the corner

Back in the days when the summer of 2007 still seemed like a sizzling prospect, I entered a writing competition run by Cosmopolitan magazine and Waterstones. The competition, 'Miss Write', promised one lucky novelist a book deal with Sphere, an introduction to a top literary agent and an 'offer of the week' slot at Waterstones. Basically, the stuff of all my chic-lit dreams...

Well, rumour has it the judging panel will be contacting the winner over the next few weeks. Blimey! Cue butterflies and ominous music. Hey, everyone's allowed a dream...

Now. Everyone who knows me will testify, I'm probably the world's worst phone answerer - guilty of all sorts of elusive silences and where-the-hell-is-she sins. Who do I think I am? A post-baby, pre-powerplate celeb?

No more! The competition has reformed my non-contactable nature and like those annoying people at dinner parties who can't seem to press the silence button and let the caller ring off, I've suddenly developed a fixation with my mobile.

Every time the damn thing rings my stomach swoops skyward and I'm pouncing on the vibration in a nervous frenzy. Private Number? The screen might as well read 'your future editor calling.' I'm seriously starting to wonder if it's possible to overdose on adrenaline.

Tell you what though, it's done wonders for my telephone voice. And my social life.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Ooh, I entered that competition too... have just given up my job so that I can focus on writing my novel without getting up at 5am to tap out 500 bleary words a day. Partof me is trying not to think about the winning of the comp but, crumbs, it would be a bit ace, wouldn't it?

Well done for joining the Novel Racers :)

Rachel Green said...

Good luck. It's nice when people I blog to get wins like that.

Helen said...

I am so stupid. I wrote a lovely comment here for you then pressed my back button on my tool bar before I posted it and subsequently lost it! Oh well. What I was saying was welcome to the racers - I found the race incredibly motivational and managed to finish my first draft a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck with Miss Write. x

CL Taylor said...

I'm another Miss Write entrant. Great to meet you! And another phone-phobic too - excellent! I HATE answering the phone or making phone calls. Give me email and text messages any day!

CL Taylor said...

p.s. I'm a novel racer too. Like Helen being part of this fantastic group helped me finish my first draft 3 weeks ago. Welcome!